Saturday, January 5, 2013

Plein Air Landscape Painting


Not all paintings started on location are finished on the spot. Many factors can keep me from finishing while outside. One of the main ones is a change of the weather, or the simple fact that the sun has moved so far across the sky that the scene is totally different from when I started it. The sun's movement is most noticeable in the winter, dawn, and sunset. Sometimes I'm just not sure what else the painting needs to be declared finished, and I think that's what happened with this little beauty.

It was a beautiful March day, with about a foot of fresh snow. I was painting with a fellow painter, and we had set up by an open stream. Things really heated up! Check us out:
http://www.pleinairlakesuperior.blogspot.com/2012/03/we-laugh-at-winter.html

No comments: